Day 12, January 13, 2023
Let’s go back and examine a pivotal point in my life.
After being academically expelled from my university, I discovered that my area’s African American community had counted on me to make a difference for their boys and girls. In other words, they were pointing at me, encouraging them to do what I was supposed to be doing.
My mom and dad were greatly disappointed, and I sank into a deep hole of desolation. I found out that skipping classes to play cards and not concentrating on what I knew I could do, brought unnecessary pain to others and myself. I got a job working for Gracewood State School and Hospital for the mentally ill. There, I slowly found my way back to God by doing things God’s way and not my own.
A year later, I was back at the university. In the very first quarter, after returning, I started making the Dean’s List, which is a recognition of those students who maintain an A average throughout the quarter. You might wonder what happened.
I discovered the speeches of the former coach of the Green Bay Packers, Vincent Lombardi, a Christian that lived what he preached on the field with his team and off the field with his family.
One of his quotes kicked me hard in my gut, and I changed it so that it would fit me, and I practically learned it by memory. Here is his quote that I altered to fit myself.
In order to succeed, I will need a singleness of purpose, a dedication, and I will have to convince all of the people I encounter that can help me along the way of my willingness to sacrifice.
With that quote buried in my heart, I was always on Dean’s list during my last two years of college. And I have lived to see some kids who know me make a difference in their lives.
I am still working on my list. The two most significant projects I plan to complete between today and Monday.
My Continuing List consists of the following:
- I am revising the first 10K of my new novel. It usually takes me at least four to six days to fix 10K. I like to send her what I call my final draft so that she understands the direction I’m moving in.
- I have a letter to write. I had decided to wait until after the Challenge, but my gut is telling me to do it now, which is what I will do.
- Answering emails and text messages, Daily
- Attend my writing classes and do my homework,
- Go to the bakery (Completed this morning before I went to my office.)
- Pick up fresh fruits (Completed this morning)
- Do the accounting books for the Romantic Women Fiction Chapter of the RWA.
Have a lovely day.